Pasadena, Texas Bicycle Accidents: What You Need to Know
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident in Pasadena, Texas, it is important to seek legal assistance from a skilled attorney to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. It is also crucial to seek medical care immediately, as injuries may not be immediately apparent. Contacting a trusted legal expert like Joe I. Zaid & Associates can help you protect your rights and seek justice.
Pasadena, Texas Bicycle Accident Statistics
Pasadena, Texas has seen an increase in bicycle accidents in recent years. According to the Pasadena Police Department, the city experienced a total of 23 bicycle accidents in 2020 alone. These accidents often result in serious injuries and, in some cases, fatalities. As more people turn to cycling as a means of transportation, it is important to be aware of the risks and take necessary precautions to avoid accidents.
Texas Bicycle Accident Statistics
The Texas Department of Transportation reported 2,214 bicycle accidents in Texas in 2019. Of these accidents, 68 resulted in fatalities and 1,960 resulted in injuries. To address the growing issue of bicycle accidents, Texas has implemented a strategic plan aimed at reducing traffic fatalities and injuries, including those involving bicycles.
Understanding the Laws for Cyclists in Texas
In Texas, bicycles are considered vehicles, and cyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as motorists. The Texas Department of Transportation provides comprehensive cycling laws and guidelines for riders in Pasadena, TX, including riding on the right side of the road, using hand signals when turning, and equipping bikes with necessary safety features.
Exceptions exist for cyclists traveling in main driving lanes in Pasadena, TX. Cyclists may take the full lane when turning, avoiding hazards, or when the lane is too narrow to share with a motor vehicle safely. It is essential for cyclists to understand and abide by these laws to ensure their safety on the road.
The Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Pasadena, TX
The most common causes of bicycle accidents in Pasadena, TX, often involve a combination of cyclist and motorist behavior. Common negligent actions that lead to bike accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield
- Driving under the influence
- Dooring (opening a car door without checking for passing cyclists)
- Unsafe lane changes
- Ignoring traffic signals or signs
Where do Most Accidents Involving Bicycles Occur in Pasadena, TX?
Bicycle accidents in Pasadena, TX are more likely to occur at intersections, due to the increased potential for conflict between cyclists and motorists. Some of the most hazardous intersections for biking in Pasadena, TX, include:
- Fairmont Parkway and Burke Road
- Southmore Avenue and Burke Road
- Spencer Highway and Burke Road
In addition to intersections, accidents involving bicycles can also occur on busy streets, bike lanes, and off-road trails.
At Joe I. Zaid & Associates, we provide dedicated legal representation for bicycle accident victims in Pasadena, TX. Our experienced attorneys will work diligently to establish a strong case with supporting evidence, such as witness statements, police reports, and medical records. We understand the devastating impact a bicycle accident can have on an individual’s life and will tirelessly advocate for your rights and interests.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Injuries resulting from collisions with motor vehicles in Pasadena, TX, can range from minor to severe or even fatal. Some of the most common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Fractured bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Injuries to joints, such as dislocations or sprains
- Abrasions and lacerations
Statistics for Wearing or Not Wearing a Helmet on a Bicycle
Wearing a helmet while biking can significantly reduce the risk of head injuries in the event of an accident. Intriguing statistics concerning helmet use highlight the importance of this safety measure:
- Helmets can reduce the risk of head injury by up to 85%
- 97% of bicyclists killed in accidents were not wearing a helmet
- In 64% of bicycle-related fatalities, head injuries were the primary cause of death
Our Pasadena, Texas Bicycle Accident Lawyers Charge No Upfront Fees
At Joe I. Zaid & Associates, our Pasadena, Texas Bicycle Accident Lawyers offer a contingency fee arrangement, meaning you pay nothing unless we recover compensation on your behalf. Our team is available 24/7/365, and our multilingual staff can assist clients in both English and Spanish.
Bicycle Accidents FAQ’s
- What should I do immediately after a bicycle accident? Seek medical attention, gather information from the other driver, take photos of the accident scene, and consult with a Pasadena, Texas bicycle accident attorney.
- What types of compensation can I receive after a bicycle accident? Compensation may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and more.
- How long do I have to file a bicycle accident claim in Texas? In most cases, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim.
- What if the motorist who hit me fled the scene? You may still be able to recover compensation through your own uninsured motorist coverage or by working with the authorities to locate the responsible party.
- Do I need to call the police after a bicycle accident? Yes, it is crucial to call the police and file a report to document the accident.
- What if I was partially at fault for the accident? Texas follows a proportionate responsibility system, meaning you may still recover compensation, but it may be reduced based on your percentage of fault.
- Can I sue a manufacturer if my bicycle’s faulty design or manufacturing caused the accident? Yes, you may have a product liability claim against the manufacturer.
- What should I do if the insurance company offers me a settlement? Consult with a Pasadena, Texas bicycle accident lawyer before accepting any settlement offer to ensure it fairly compensates you for your damages.
- How long does it take to resolve a bicycle accident case? The timeline for resolving a case varies depending on the complexity of the case, the willingness of parties to settle, and other factors.
- How can a Pasadena, Texas bicycle accident attorney help me? A skilled attorney can gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent your interests in court to help you secure the compensation you deserve.