Joe I. Zaid & Associates is committed to representing the rights of the injured both in Texas, and across the nation.

Free Case Consulation

Trust ReefTrust Reef


Drunk driving accidents are a significant problem in Humble, Texas, and throughout the United States. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2019, there were over 24,000 alcohol-related crashes in Texas, resulting in over 13,000 injuries and nearly 900 fatalities. When a person falls victim to a drunk driving accident, it is crucial to pursue justice and compensation through the legal system. Joe I. Zaid & Associates, an experienced team of Humble drunk driving accident lawyers, are committed to helping victims and their families navigate this challenging process.

How Can A Humble Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Assist You?

Dealing with the aftermath of a drunk driving accident can be overwhelming. It’s essential to understand the distinction between criminal and civil cases. While the state may pursue criminal charges against the intoxicated driver, victims and their families must initiate a civil claim to seek compensation for their damages. Hiring legal representation for your civil claim is crucial to ensure your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.

A Humble drunk driving accident lawyer from Joe I. Zaid & Associates can bring valuable knowledge and experience to your case. They will investigate the accident, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and present your case in court if necessary. In many cases, they may be able to settle your claim without entering the courtroom, saving you time and emotional distress.

Understanding Humble Drunk Driving Regulations

In Texas, driving while intoxicated (DWI) is defined as operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher, or while lacking the normal use of mental or physical faculties due to alcohol or drugs. Driving under the influence (DUI) is a separate offense in Texas and applies to individuals under 21 years of age who have any detectable amount of alcohol in their system.

Recognizing indications of driver impairment can help protect you on the road. Common signs of impaired driving include swerving, erratic braking, slow response to traffic signals, and driving at inappropriate speeds. Understanding DWI/DUI regulations and identifying impaired drivers can be beneficial in your civil lawsuit, as it may help establish the intoxicated driver’s negligence.

Identifying Liable Parties in a Humble Drunk Driving Accident

While the intoxicated driver is often the primary party held accountable for a drunk driving accident, other potentially responsible parties may be identified. Employers can be held liable if the driver was operating a company vehicle or was on duty at the time of the accident. Alcohol vendors may also be held responsible if they served alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person who then caused an accident. Additionally, social hosts who provide alcohol to minors or intoxicated guests can be held liable for damages resulting from a drunk driving accident.

Compensation Possibilities in a Humble Drunk Driving Accident Claim

Victims of drunk driving accidents are often entitled to various forms of compensation. Common compensatory damages sought in a claim include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. In cases involving severe negligence or wrongdoing, pursuing punitive damages may be appropriate. Punitive damages are awarded to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar behavior in the future.

Drunk Driving Inquiries and Answers

Below are ten frequently asked questions and their answers related to drunk driving accidents:

  1. What should I do immediately following a drunk driving accident? Call 911, seek medical attention, and gather contact information from witnesses. If possible, take photos and videos of the scene.

  2. How long do I have to file a claim? In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim.

  3. What if the drunk driver is uninsured or underinsured? You may still be able to recover compensation through your own insurance company’s uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

  4. Can I sue the drunk driver for punitive damages? Yes, Texas law allows for punitive damages in cases where the defendant acted with gross negligence or malice.

  5. What if I was partially at fault for the accident? Texas follows a modified comparative negligence rule, which means you can still recover damages as long as you are not more than 50% at fault.

  6. How will my medical bills be paid? Medical bills may be paid through your health insurance, auto insurance, or a settlement with the responsible party.

  7. Can I recover compensation for emotional distress? Yes, emotional distress is a component of pain and suffering damages.

  8. What if the driver was on drugs instead of alcohol? A driver impaired by drugs can still be held liable for damages in a civil lawsuit.

  9. Do I need a lawyer if the insurance company is offering a settlement? It’s essential to consult with a lawyer before accepting any settlement offers, as they may not fully compensate you for your damages.

  10. What if I lost a loved one in a drunk driving accident? You may be able to file a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and other damages.

Connect with a Humble Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been affected by a drunk driving accident, contact Joe I. Zaid & Associates for a complimentary and private consultation. Their dedicated team of Humble drunk driving accident lawyers is committed to achieving the best possible results and justice for victims and their families. They work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you will not pay any legal fees or case expenses unless they obtain a financial recovery on your behalf. Don’t hesitate to reach out and start your journey toward justice and healing.

Get a FREE consultation with an Experienced Attorney

Need help with your case? Get a one-on-one consultation with an experienced attorney.  Simply fill out the form below for a call back.