Spinal cord injuries can be life-changing events that often result in permanent disability and a significant decrease in an individual’s quality of life. These injuries can be caused by a wide range of accidents, including car collisions, falls, and workplace incidents. When such an injury is caused by another person’s negligence, it is essential to seek the help of a qualified Friendswood spinal cord injury lawyer to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. This article will discuss various aspects of spinal cord injuries, the legal process involved in pursuing compensation, and what to look for in a competent attorney to represent your case.
Understanding Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is a vital component of the human body, responsible for transmitting messages between the brain and the rest of the body. Any damage to the spinal cord can result in a loss of function in the affected area, leading to paralysis and other severe consequences.
There are two main types of spinal cord injuries: complete and incomplete. A complete injury results in a total loss of function below the level of injury, whereas an incomplete injury allows for some degree of functionality to be retained. The extent of the injury and its impact on an individual’s life will play a significant role in determining the compensation that may be awarded in a legal claim.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries can be caused by a wide variety of accidents, with some of the most common causes being:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car collisions, motorcycle crashes, and pedestrian accidents can all result in significant force being applied to the spine, leading to spinal cord injuries.
- Falls: Slips, trips, and falls from heights can cause spinal cord damage, particularly in older adults or those with pre-existing conditions.
- Workplace accidents: Injuries sustained in the workplace, such as falling objects or machinery malfunctions, can lead to spinal cord injuries.
- Acts of violence: Gunshot wounds, stabbings, and other violent acts can cause damage to the spinal cord.
- Sports-related injuries: Contact sports and high-impact activities can result in spinal cord injuries, particularly in cases where proper safety precautions are not taken.
The Legal Process for Spinal Cord Injury Claims
When pursuing a spinal cord injury claim, several steps need to be taken to ensure that the case is strong and well-prepared. These steps typically include:
- Consultation with a Friendswood spinal cord injury lawyer: The first step in pursuing a claim is to meet with an attorney who specializes in spinal cord injury cases. During this consultation, the lawyer will assess the strength of the case and provide guidance on the best course of action.
- Gathering evidence: The attorney will gather all relevant evidence to support the claim, including medical records, accident reports, witness statements, and any other documentation that may be pertinent to the case.
- Filing the lawsuit: Once all evidence has been gathered, the lawyer will file a lawsuit on behalf of the injured party, seeking compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Discovery phase: During the discovery phase, both sides will exchange information, and the attorney will work to gather further evidence to support the claim.
- Settlement negotiations: Many spinal cord injury cases are resolved through a settlement, in which the responsible party agrees to pay a specified sum to the injured party in exchange for dropping the lawsuit. A skilled Friendswood spinal cord injury lawyer will negotiate on behalf of their client to ensure that they receive the maximum compensation possible.
- Trial: If a settlement cannot be reached, the case will proceed to trial, where a jury or judge will determine the outcome and the amount of compensation to be awarded.
Qualities of a Competent Friendswood Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
When searching for a spinal cord injury lawyer to represent your case, it is crucial to look for the following qualities:
- Experience: A lawyer with extensive experience in spinal cord injury cases will have a thorough understanding of the legal process and will be better equipped to handle the complexities of these claims.
- Reputation: A lawyer with a strong reputation in the community and among their peers will likely be more successful in negotiating settlements and advocating for their clients in court.
- Communication: An attorney who communicates effectively and keeps their client informed throughout the legal process is essential for a successful case.
- Empathy: A lawyer who genuinely cares about their client’s well-being and is committed to fighting for their best interests will be more likely to secure a favorable outcome.
One such law firm that embodies these qualities is Joe I. Zaid & Associates, a team of Houston personal injury attorneys committed to their clients’ cases. With their experience, reputation, and dedication, they are well-suited to handle even the most complex spinal cord injury claims.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to another party’s negligence, it is essential to seek the help of an experienced Friendswood spinal cord injury lawyer. By choosing an attorney with the right qualities and expertise, you can increase your chances of securing the compensation you deserve to help you cope with the challenges and expenses that come with such a life-changing injury. Reach out to Joe I. Zaid & Associates at 281-990-5200 or visit their office at 4710 Vista Rd. Suite E, Pasadena, TX 77505, for a consultation to discuss your case and get started on the path to recovery.