Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) can be life-altering events that leave victims and their families with emotional, physical, and financial burdens. If you or a loved one has suffered from a TBI due to someone else’s negligence, a Cedar Hill traumatic brain injury lawyer from Joe I. Zaid & Associates can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries occur when an external force, such as a blow, jolt, or penetration, causes damage to the brain. TBIs can range in severity from mild to severe, with symptoms varying depending on the extent of the injury. Some common symptoms of a TBI include:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Mood changes
- Sensitivity to light or noise
In more severe cases, a TBI can result in long-term cognitive, physical, and emotional impairments. These may include difficulty with communication, coordination, and emotional control, as well as an increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease later in life.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
TBIs can result from a wide range of accidents, but some of the most common causes include:
- Car accidents: Motor vehicle collisions are a leading cause of TBIs in the United States. High-speed impacts, rollovers, and rear-end collisions can all result in serious head injuries.
- Falls: Slip and fall accidents, as well as falls from heights, can cause TBIs, particularly in older adults and young children. These can occur at home, in public spaces, or on someone else’s property.
- Workplace accidents: Construction sites, factories, and other industrial settings can be dangerous places, with workers at risk of suffering TBIs from falling objects, falls from heights, and other hazards.
- Sports injuries: Contact sports, such as football, hockey, and soccer, can result in TBIs due to collisions between players or impacts with the ground or equipment.
- Assaults: Violent attacks, including domestic violence, can result in TBIs from blunt force trauma or penetrating injuries.
Legal Considerations for Traumatic Brain Injury Cases
When pursuing a traumatic brain injury claim, there are several important legal considerations to keep in mind. These include:
- Establishing negligence: To recover compensation for a TBI, you must prove that the at-fault party’s negligence caused your injury. This may involve demonstrating that they breached a duty of care, such as a driver who caused a car accident by texting and driving.
- Identifying liable parties: Depending on the circumstances of your TBI, multiple parties may be liable for your injuries. For example, in a workplace accident, your employer, a subcontractor, or a manufacturer of faulty equipment may all bear some responsibility.
- Assessing damages: Calculating the full extent of your damages can be complex, particularly when dealing with long-term effects of a TBI. You may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Statute of limitations: In Texas, you generally have two years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, certain exceptions may apply, so it’s important to consult with a Cedar Hill traumatic brain injury lawyer as soon as possible.
How a Cedar Hill Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Can Help
Navigating the legal process after a TBI can be overwhelming, particularly while you’re also dealing with the physical and emotional challenges of your injury. A Cedar Hill traumatic brain injury lawyer from Joe I. Zaid & Associates can provide invaluable support throughout your case by:
- Investigating your injury: Your lawyer will gather evidence to support your claim, including medical records, witness statements, and expert testimony.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Insurance companies often try to minimize payouts or deny claims altogether. Your lawyer will advocate for your best interests and negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Litigating your case: If a settlement cannot be reached, your lawyer will represent you in court, presenting a strong case to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
- Providing emotional support: A traumatic brain injury can be a deeply distressing experience, and your lawyer will be there to provide guidance, reassurance, and support throughout your case.
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, you should not have to bear the financial burden alone. A Cedar Hill traumatic brain injury lawyer from Joe I. Zaid & Associates can help you navigate the legal process, fight for your rights, and secure the compensation you need to move forward. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated team at 281-990-5200, or visit our office at 4710 Vista Rd. Suite E Pasadena, TX 77505.