Galena Park is a city in Harris County, Texas, with a population of approximately 10,000 people. Unfortunately, like many other areas in the United States, Galena Park has seen its fair share of drunk driving accidents. These accidents can result in serious injuries, property damage, and even fatalities. Pursuing compensation for damages sustained in a drunk driving accident is essential to help victims and their families recover from the physical, emotional, and financial toll of the accident. Joe I. Zaid & Associates is a law firm located in Pasadena, Texas, that specializes in helping victims of drunk driving accidents.
How Can a Galena Park Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Assist You?
When you are involved in a drunk driving accident, you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. It is important to understand the difference between criminal and civil legal proceedings. A criminal case is brought by the state to hold the drunk driver accountable for their actions. A civil case is brought by the victim to seek compensation for damages sustained in the accident. Hiring an experienced Galena Park drunk driving accident lawyer to represent your civil claim can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Joe I. Zaid & Associates have the expertise and knowledge necessary to skillfully navigate your case. They will work tirelessly to investigate the accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. The goal is to achieve a favorable outcome without necessarily going to trial, but if necessary, the attorneys at Joe I. Zaid & Associates are prepared to fight for your rights in court.
Essential Information About Galena Park Drunk Driving Regulations
In Texas, driving while intoxicated (DWI) and driving under the influence (DUI) are two separate offenses. A DWI charge is given when a driver has a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher. A DUI charge can be given to drivers under the age of 21 with any detectable amount of alcohol in their system.
Recognizing signs of an impaired driver can help prevent accidents. Signs of impairment can include weaving in and out of lanes, driving too slowly or too fast, sudden stops, and driving without headlights at night. If you suspect that a driver is impaired, it is important to keep a safe distance and contact law enforcement immediately.
If a drunk driver causes an accident, they can face criminal charges as well as civil liability. It is important to note that a criminal case and a civil case are separate legal proceedings. However, a criminal conviction can be used as evidence in a civil case to help establish liability.
Identifying Potential Defendants in a Galena Park Drunk Driving Accident
When pursuing compensation for damages sustained in a drunk driving accident, there may be multiple parties that could be held liable. The drunk driver is the most obvious defendant and will likely be named in the lawsuit. However, there may be other parties that contributed to the accident.
Employers can be held liable if they allowed an employee to drive a company vehicle while under the influence. Alcohol vendors can be held liable if they served alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person who was later involved in an accident. Social hosts can be held liable if they provided alcohol to a minor who was later involved in an accident.
Compensation Options in a Galena Park Drunk Driving Accident Claim
When pursuing compensation for damages sustained in a drunk driving accident, there are several types of compensatory damages that can be sought. These damages include:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, medication, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages, including future earning potential if the victim is unable to return to work
- Property damage, including damage to the victim’s vehicle
- Pain and suffering, including physical and emotional distress
In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded. Punitive damages are intended to punish the defendant for their reckless behavior and to deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
Drunk Driving Accident FAQ’s
- What should I do if I am involved in a drunk driving accident?
- The first priority should always be to seek medical attention if needed. Contact law enforcement to report the accident and document the scene. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, but do not admit fault or discuss the accident in detail.
- Can I still pursue compensation if the drunk driver was not charged with a crime?
- Yes, a criminal case and a civil case are separate legal proceedings. Even if the drunk driver was not charged with a crime, you may still be able to pursue compensation through a civil lawsuit.
- How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
- In Texas, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the date of the accident. It is important to contact a Galena Park drunk driving accident lawyer as soon as possible to begin the legal process.
- How much will it cost to hire a lawyer?
- Joe I. Zaid & Associates offers a complimentary, confidential consultation to discuss your case. If you choose to hire them, there are no attorney fees or case expenses unless a financial recovery is achieved.
- What if the drunk driver was uninsured?
- In this situation, you may still be able to pursue compensation through your own insurance policy. It is important to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to protect yourself in the event of an accident with an uninsured driver.
- Can I still pursue compensation if I was partially at fault for the accident?
- Texas follows a modified comparative fault rule, which means that you can still pursue compensation as long as you were not more than 50% at fault for the accident. However, your damages will be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
- What if the drunk driver fled the scene?
- Hit and run accidents are unfortunately common in drunk driving cases. If the driver cannot be identified, you may still be able to pursue compensation through your own insurance policy or through a victims’ compensation fund.
- What if the accident resulted in a fatality?
- If the accident resulted in a fatality, the victim’s family may be able to pursue compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
- What if I was a passenger in the drunk driver’s car?
- As a passenger, you may still be able to pursue compensation for your injuries. It is important to contact a Galena Park drunk driving accident lawyer to discuss your options.
- What if the accident occurred on private property?
- The same legal principles apply to accidents that occur on private property as those that occur on public roads. It is important to contact a Galena Park drunk driving accident lawyer to discuss your case.
Reach Out to a Galena Park Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in a drunk driving accident in Galena Park, contact Joe I. Zaid & Associates for a complimentary, confidential consultation. They are dedicated to obtaining maximum compensation and justice for victims and their loved ones. Remember, there are no attorney fees or case expenses unless a financial recovery is achieved. Don’t wait to seek the legal representation you deserve.